Article: Michele Barson (Canberra Organic – Autumn 2021)
Will you have a bumper pumpkin harvest this autumn? Not sure what to do with them? Here are a couple of recipes to help make the most of your bounty.
Spicy pumpkin soup
1 large onion, chopped
600g butternut pumpkin, chopped
3/4 cup of red lentils, washed
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 – 2 tbsp of red curry or harissa paste
3 tsp sugar
3 cups water
2 tablespoons rice bran or olive oil
- Soften the onions in hot oil, add ginger and curry paste, stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until the pumpkin is tender.
- Allow to cool slightly then puree.
Pumpkin and seafood soup
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
800g pumpkin, chopped
3 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp chilli sauce (or chopped fresh chilli to taste)
300–400g green prawns, peeled (or crab meat)
Juice of half a lime
100ml cream (optional)
- Lightly fry onion, garlic and ginger in a little oil.
- Add coriander and set mixture aside.
- Cook pumpkin in stock until tender.
- Add onion mix and chili to cooked pumpkin and puree.
- Gently reheat, adding lime juice and prawns.
- Simmer gently until prawns cooked.
- Add salt and pepper if needed and stir through cream.