The Canberra Organic Growers Society is a non-profit organisation that welcomes new members who want to be part of our activities promoting organic gardening knowledge and practices and our community gardens, or just want to support our work.
If you’d like to join COGS we have a full (1 or 2 adults with children) and concession (pension card, health care card and full-time students) membership available. Please see below for pricing and our membership form.
If your interest is in joining one of our twelve community gardens, you can indicate your preference in the Membership Form below. The COGS Membership Officer will forward advice of your interest to the Garden Convenor of the garden/s you nominate.
Full membership includes 1 or 2 adults and their children who are under 18 years of age. The membership entitles the people on the membership to such benefits as may be decided upon by the COGS committee from time to time and include:
- An allocated garden plot at a community garden between all participants on the one membership, where the definition of an allotment is decided by the relevant garden committee and is subject to availability.
- There are waiting lists for plot allocations in most COGS Community Gardens. The Garden Convenors are responsible for maintaining waiting lists.
- To receive one copy of any mailouts, including the Canberra Organic.
- Each adult can vote at any COGS election.
- Each adult has the right to hold any position on the COGS Committee if elected or co-opted to that position, as well as any garden committee (provided of course that they are plot holders at the garden) and any subcommittee.
- Children under 18 years are part of a family membership if:
- They are children of any adult listed on the membership,
- however the adult on the membership is held accountable for the actions of the children and is responsible for ensuring that the children comply with the rules of COGS.
Concession membership is available for pension card holders, health care card holders and full-time students. Where the membership includes two adults, both adults must be eligible for the concession and evidence must be provided for both. To apply for concessional membership, please send the membership secretary a photocopy of the relevant cards or documents.
Memberships are for one year and start in August. Current members renew their membership each August. The table below shows the the annual fee amounts.
In addition to membership fees, members who take a plot in a COGS garden pay plot fees to cover water usage and other garden expenses. The fee for 2020/2021 is $4.20 per square metre per year. The COGS Committee review the fee each year.
Online Membership Form
You can complete the following online Membership Form to join COGS. You will be directed to register for an online account following the submission of the Membership Form.
Direct debit to cover the appropriate membership fees is the preferred payment method. A payment receipt must be attached to your completed, signed application.
Download Membership Form
You may also download and complete a COGS Membership Form and return the completed, signed application by:
Email to (scanned as an attachment) firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Secretary COGS
P.O. Box 347
Dickson ACT 2602
If you have an urgent enquiry, please email email@example.com for assistance.
Privacy: COGS collects and uses your personal information for membership and plot allocation administration, magazine delivery, and to provide you with information. We will not disclose your data to external parties without your consent.