Story and photos: Janet Popovic (Canberra Organic – Autumn 2019)
Janet Popovic shared her well-loved recipe for zucchini cake “as the extremely hot weather has boosted the harvest of oversize zucchinis, for many COGS gardeners I am sure”.
This makes a very large cake (round springform pan) or two loaf tin cakes.
2 1/2 cups sugar (or substitute brown rice syrup to taste)
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 cup olive oil
1 cup oat bran
2 cups self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 cup flaxseed or LSA OR chopped nuts
2 cups grated zucchini (or up to 3 cups zucchini).
- Grease and line cake tin/ loaf tins.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil.
- Fold in remaining ingredients and pour evenly into tin/s.
- Bake 1 to 1 and ¼ hours (the longer time needed if you have used 3 cups zucchini) – cooked when knife comes out clean.
The zucchini cake is great with lemon icing (juice of a lemon, a knob of butter and icing sugar).
Story and photos: Conrad van Hest (Canberra Organic – Autumn 2019)
500 g zucchini coarsely grated
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large finely chopped (or
170 g parmesan cheese
150 g self raising flour
3 large eggs beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 180C.
- Brush two loaf tins with oil and line with grease-proof paper.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients, season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mix into loaf tins and smooth out. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until set and firm, cool and cut into slices.